What to Expect
Canal Street, Downtown Lahaina, Maui
These ruins are all that remain of a fort that stood just south of the courthouse. This fort overlooked one of the canals of Lahaina, now a paved street, and was built to protect the town after unruly sailors who fired a canon at Rev. Richard's house. The missionaries saw the womanizing and drinking of the whaling sailors as a danger to Lahaina. Rev. Richard convinced the king to ban women from the ships and this sparked the incident. Later visitors to the island thought the fort looked like it was more for show than force. It was finally torn down in 1850 and supplied the stone for the Hale Pa'ahao Prison.
Located in Banyan Tree Park.
Very little of the fort remains - a plaque, erected near the ruins, tells the history of the site.
Located along Canal Street at the south end of Banyan Treet Park.