What to Expect
Front Street, Downtown Lahaina, Maui
This two-story building was the home of the Protestant medical missionary, Rev. Dwight D. Baldwin and his family. They resided here from the mid 1830's until 1968. The house served as a medical office and general center for missionary activities. Behind it was a seaman's chapel and Christina reading room. The Baldwin's had the most renowned garden of native and introduced plants, which included kukui nut trees, bananas, guava, and figs. The New England-born family also tended grape arbors which still grow on trellises that line the house.
Part of the Lahaina self-guided walking tour.
Open daily for tours, the house serves as a museum and has been restored with antique furnishings and other articles from that time period.
Located on Front Street near Dickenson Street, next door to the Master's Reading Room in downtown Lahaina.