What to Expect
Front Street, Lahaina, West Maui
The lighthouse located in front of the Pioneer Inn, was built in 1840 to help aid navigation for the whaleboats that were coming ashore. This was the first lighthouse built in Hawaii and predates any lighthouse on the US Pacific Coast. It originally began as a 9-foot wooden tower that was increased to 26 feet in 1866. The light was provided by whale oil and was kept burning by a Hawaiian caretaker. It was rebuilt in 1905 and the Coast Guard dedicated the present concrete structure in 1916. Today it is still used for navigation.
Paved access and limited parking.
Small boat harbor.
Harbor for the ferry boats going to Lanai and Maui.
Located in the center of Lahaina off of Front Street.