The hike to the falls is classified as "easy" and travels through a bamboo forest, rainforest, and base of the Koolau Mountains. The trail is approximately a 1 mile hike, but DO NOT swim or drink the water.
The small pool at the bottom of the falls is filled with boulders and the bottom of the pool cannot be visualized making it unsafe for swimming or diving. Swimming violators may be cited.
Safety Tips for Hiking:
- Inform a friend of your route and your expected time of return.
- Never hike alone or go beyond your capability.
- Always bring water, basic first aid kit and rain gear, just in case.
- Do not drink stream water which contains biological impurities.
- STAY ON THE TRAIL.
From Waikiki: Take McCully Street out of Waikiki toward the mountains. Turn right onto Kapiolani Blvd. Turn left onto University and drive through the University of Hawaii campus. Turn right onto Manoa Road. This will dead end at the trail head.
- Easy 1 mile hike along a well-worn path
- Wear proper footwear - the path may be slippery and muddy
- Bring water - there are no facilities along the trail
- Use mosquito repellent
- Do not leave valuables in car
- Flash floods may occur at any time
- Do not cross the lookout barrier, violators may be cited