Koloa, South Kauai
Located in downtown Koloa are the remains of a 150-year old sugar mill. This was the first sugar mill in the Hawaiian Islands. In September 1835, William Hooper planted 12 acres of sugar cane. The cane was harvested and brought to this mill by ox-cart until 1882 when the sugar mill train was built. Today all that remains of this once prosperous crop is a 30-foot chimney stack and a portion of the mill foundation. There is also a plaque dedicated to the sugar plantation workers.
Take Highway 520 south from Highway 50 going toward Po'ipu. Koloa Town is approximately 3 miles down the road. The sugar mill is located in a grass park in downtown off Weliweli Road.