What to Expect
This 71-foot high lighthouse stands on Barber's Point outside of Kalaeloa on the southwest tip of the island. The point is named for Captain Henry Barber whose ship wrecked on a coral shoal off the point on October 31, 1796. The lighthouse was originally established as a station in 1888. The current concrete structure went into service in 1933 and was automated in 1964. There is no lighthouse keeper quarters and it is not open to the public.
Take the H1 West from Honolulu. Follow signs to Waianae. Take Exit #1 (Campbell Industrial Park), which loops over the freeway. This is Kalaeloa Boulevard - follow it to the end. Then turn right on Olai Street and continue until the end of the road that ends in the Germaine's Luau Parking Lot. The lighthouse is located to the right of Germaine's. From Waikiki it is 30-45 Minutes.
No public access to the interior of the lighthouse or up to the light